Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Beautiful Books

     Last week I wrote about how much reading I have to keep up with this semester. A friend of mine has another problem. Rather than trying to keep up with reading books this semester, she's been trying to keep up with making them. She's in an artist's book class here at Collins!

IMG_4258
A little bookmaking world.
     An artist's book is exactly what it sounds like—a book that is a piece of art. She's already shown me some of the early stuff the class has completed, but recently she let me photograph her, as she worked on her first big project.

Looking focused.
     Her first book was the small green book pictured below. Constructed essentially of just one collapsable page, this book is in what is called an accordion format.

This is so adorable. It's about the size
of my palm, by the way.
     This new project is a full-sized accordion book. It's pages will feature cut out trees, and when closed, the layers of trees that the folded pages will create will resemble a forest. Although it is still a work in progress, I'll be posting a picture of the completed project when it is ready! I can't wait to see it!

T-t-t-tracing!
So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment